Watts, first-years break out in 115-51 exhibition win over Elizabeth City State

Sophomore guard Stephanie Watts (5) defends during the game against Elizabeth City State at Carmichael Arena on Monday.

While the Tar Heels took time to establish a rhythm against Carson-Newman, UNC looked like an entirely different team against Elizabeth City State, cruising to a 115-51 victory.

The difference was clear when sophomore guard Stephanie Watts coasted down the court with a smile on her face. But it’s easy to smile after scoring 23 points in the first half.

“We all just really do have fun out there; it’s a big thing on our team,” Watts said. “Play basketball and win the game, but have fun while you’re doing it.”

The 2016 ACC Freshman of the Year led all players with 35 points and eight rebounds. Watts was also impressive on defense, notching four steals on the night.

“Defense was a really big emphasis this year,” Watts said. “It’s something my coaches have definitely helped me with and something I’ve been working on personally.”

UNC is a young team, much like last year. A primary difference this season is the depth of the bench, with this year’s recruiting class ranking No. 13 nationally. Twelve Tar Heels got playing time against Elizabeth City State, while North Carolina usually stuck to a six-player rotation last year.

And while teams typically empty their bench in exhibition games, it’s a good sign for a UNC team that was plagued with depth concerns a season ago.

“It’s good to have enough kids out there, so that we can do things that we want to do, like play transition and fast break ... not having to worry about getting in foul trouble and stuff like that,” Head Coach Sylvia Hatchell said. “We can play some basketball.”

Hatchell emphasized the development of the inside game for North Carolina. She said that’s the weakest part of the team’s game right now, especially considering redshirt senior Hillary Fuller is the only returning player in the frontcourt.

With the start of the regular season only days away, North Carolina’s younger players gained valuable experience in these exhibition games.

“Being out here, I’ve noticed that ‘Oh, I do have to shoot faster,’ or ‘Oh, I can swing this real quick when they close out too hard,’” first-year guard Olivia Smith said.

Smith’s improvement showed, as 18 of her 21 points came in the second half. She said while it has been tough, she is adjusting to the college game.

The Tar Heels look comfortable now, which is important for the long season ahead. And for a team with so many new pieces, chemistry is everything.

@YonaDagalosi