Word on the Street: What is the most interesting thing you know about UNC?

UNC has an almost 250-year-old history filled with interesting stories and people. Staff Writer Ivy Ingle asked students: "What is the most interesting thing you know about UNC?"

First-year Andrew Robinson, Biology

“I’ve heard that there are libraries here that have hidden floors that no one’s supposed to know about, and there’s very mysterious books on those floors — very mysterious offices. That’s probably the most interesting thing.”

Junior Samantha Houston, Exercise and Sports Science

“To me, I think that UNC being the first public university is really cool.”

Junior Victoria Snow, Psychology and Spanish

“I think the coolest thing about UNC is that it also is the first public university but there’s all the other UNC schools, and I like that we're all in the same system, I think that’s cool.”

Sophomore Brandon Cosgrove, Math

“There’s a lot of really fantastic performances and music and theater especially, like the Playmakers Repertory (Company) does great stuff. Memorial Hall produces a lot of really interesting shows, like world class performances by amazing artists, and also lots of stuff on the student level as well — like student performances and that sort of thing. I guess just the sheer volume of culture and cultural events that go on.”

Junior Nishanth Shah, Statistics and Music

“I know they always say this in tour guides, my friend’s a tour guide, she told me one of the trees has like been anchored to a rope for like a hundred years.”

Junior Jack Clayton, Business

“James K. Polk, the 11th president of the United States of America, went to Chapel Hill.”