An ode: All I want for Christmas is U(NC)

UNC forward Justin Jackson (44) dunks the ball against Radford on Sunday.

Remember the days when the Toys ‘R Us catalog would come in the mail, and you’d mark down everything you wanted for Christmas? And if you couldn’t live without it, you’d put a star beside it, making sure your parents knew exactly what you wanted?

(No? Just me? Oh ...)

The stars and marks in the toy catalog would then be transferred over to the list and sent to the North Pole for Santa Claus.

Naturally, these lists had the latest gizmos and gadgets, fashion trends and probably a puppy or two.

But, if you were to make a list today it would probably look a little different than the ones you made as a kid.

With finals approaching, many students haven’t had time to make a Christmas list, but they know what they’d ask UNC for if they could.

Taylor Darrow, junior, had no hesitation when she said she’d ask UNC for a 4.0 this Christmas.

This seems like it would be at the top of every student’s list, but first-year Alexandra Myers said she’d ask for free tuition for Christmas.

*Grades are momentary, but debt lasts forever*

Despite the looming presence of finals in the future, some students’ minds are not in the classroom, but on the court.

The basketball court specifically.

“If Carolina could give me anything for Christmas, I would pick Duke basketball tickets and to get to tour the men’s basketball locker room because it seems really cool,” said sophomore Hayley Gee.

Sophomore William Rhyne on the other hand doesn’t just want basketball tickets for himself, but also a better basketball experience for the entire student body.

“Some more student seating in the Dean Dome” is on Rhyne’s UNC Christmas list this year.

Men’s basketball coach Roy Williams echoed similar sentiments.

“It was a wonderful crowd. Gosh, I’d like to play in front of a crowd like that in the Smith Center every night other than the frickin’ Duke game,” he told the News & Observer on Nov. 30.

This is probably on the list of the entire UNC men’s basketball team as well.

“Maybe y’all will rearrange the seating now? Move the students from in the upper deck to closer to the court!” Bryce Johnson tweeted on Nov. 30 after the Indiana game.

First-year Carson O’Hara was probably the kid that asked for the world when he was a kid because he didn’t ask UNC for any small feat other than the grand-daddy of all gifts.

"(I’d like to) win a national championship in basketball,” he said.

Hopefully, Christmas will be coming in March next year for this Tar Heel.

Stay on the nice list this Christmas season, Tar Heels, and who knows what you might find under your tree on Christmas morning.

@JordanKatlyn97

swerve@dailytarheel.com