Column: Joyful celebrations and mournful cries: Fidel Castro

Angum Check

On Nov. 25, Fidel Castro died.

Since his death, a number of world leaders such as Justin Trudeau, the prime minister of Canada, and Pope Francis have issued statements expressing their condolences and sentiments of sorrow. There have been just as many statements from politicians like Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz celebrating Castro's death as a long-awaited moment in history. 

These drastically different reactions have prompted many to ask: Who exactly was Fidel Castro and why is he such a controversial figure? Earlier this year, on Aug. 13, he celebrated his 90th birthday. I noticed his birthday was being celebrated on Twitter, online blogs and other mediums by many Cubans. This seemed to me to be genuine appreciation for their leader.

Nonetheless, I was confused to see him being framed in a positive light because all I ever knew of Cuba and Fidel Castro is what I learned from the U.S. school system. Communism was evil. Fidel was the devil. And Cuba was hell. 

I've learned to question everything and acknowledge that history is ultimately framed and shaped by those who narrate it. In this case, the narrator has always been anti-communist (no matter what, which included supporting numerous fascist dictators in the name of democracy) with heavy tones of American exceptionalism. 

But American exceptionalism does not exist. Our arrogance to claim superiority in our government, as well as social and human rights, is volatile considering the continuous problems we face from voter suppression and gerrymandering to blatant policies and social issues of racial, ethnic, gender, sexual, religious and ability-based discriminations.

So I pose this challenge to you. Take it upon yourself to seek multiple narratives or fall victim to the danger of a single story.

Yes, Castro was one of the most prominent figures in the fight against global imperialism. He extended Cuba’s solidarity to movements against oppression and helped fight for freedom against colonial powers in places like Angola and Namibia.

Yes, Castro was an unforgiving dictator who jailed countless political dissenters, placed tight control on the travel movements of individuals to and from the island, and had a secret police and firing squad to sustain his leadership.

Yes, there are thousands of Cubans who mourn the death of an inspirational figure.

Yes, there are also thousands of Cubans who celebrate the death of their longest serving dictator.

Neither of these sentiments are invalid because they are true feelings of Cubans whose lived experiences must play an important role in how we understand Castro's legacy and its intricacies.

In your research, I challenge you to pay close attention to the class dynamics, racial demographics and international relationships (particularly with the U.S.) that led to Castro’s dictatorship. This is a first step to understand who he was.

Fidel Castro was, and always will be, complicated.