Dwayne Pinkney named UNC's new chief financial officer

Dwayne Pinkney was just chosen as the new Senior Associate Vice Chancellor of Finance and Administration.

Dwayne Pinkney will bring his experience working for the N.C. General Assembly, the UNC system's general administration and UNC-Chapel Hill itself to his new role as chief financial officer and senior associate vice chancellor for UNC’s finance and administration department.

Pinkney, whose new role was announced Monday, will serve as the strategic advisor and principal deputy to Matt Fajack, vice chancellor for finance and administration, according to a press release. 

Fajack, who appointed Pinkney, said he was the obvious choice for this position.

“His wealth of experience in higher education, a lot of time with the legislature — they’re one of our biggest funders so a knowledge of their inner workings is important — and also his time with general administration and time with the University and understanding and working with the general administration, but really his attention to detail, his dedication to this University and his ability to collaborate with a number of people,” he said.

Pinkney will work with Information Technology Services, UNC Health Care Administration, UNC General Administration among other campus communities, the press release said. He most recently served as the vice provost for finance and academic planning at UNC-Chapel Hill. http://its.unc.edu/ http://www.unchealthcare.org/ https://www.northcarolina.edu/content/system-offices

“Additionally, he will provide oversight of the University’s financial, budget and accounting operations and will provide leadership for the division’s shared administrative and business services functions,” the press release said. 

Pinkney said his time working in the finance division of the state legislature as an analyst gave him valuable experience and knowledge of the link between the legislature and institutions of higher education.

“That was really my first foray into my work with the state of North Carolina, from that vantage point,” he said. “Working in higher ed, policy and budget and fiscal work and leading in the University system at that time very early in my career.”

Fajack said Pinkney will be valuable in helping the department address some of the issues it currently faces, such as decreased funding from the state and improving their IT system.

“The state supports us better than any other state supports their state research university, but it is declining so we have to deal with those type of budget issues," Fajack said. "There continues always the regulatory pressures that we get from the general assembly."

Fajack said Pinkney’s ability to collaborate with different groups will be instrumental in fulfilling many of the department’s objectives.

“If we have to issue bonds to build facilities, Dr. Pinkney is responsible for issuing the bonds, keeping our credit rating strong and making sure all of the accounting and the payments are done properly, financial reporting, and it’s one of our big goals to include financial reporting so Dr. Pinkney will spend a lot of his time working with units across campus talking to them about what kind of info they need to better run their business and make better decisions.”