All Up In Your Business for Jan. 30, 2017

Once open, Might As Well Bar & Grill will offer inexpensive weekly deals on food and drinks and a lively ambiance for students.

Might as Well opens on Franklin Street

Might as Well had their grand opening this past Friday night. The sports bar, originally based out of Wilmington, now sits comfortably on Franklin Street in the building formerly occupied by Fitzgerald's

William Jones, a managing partner at Might as Well, said the grand opening was a great time and the new changes to the building were enjoyed by all.

Jones also he was pleased with the successful opening of the bar's first branch outside of Wilmington.

“I think it’s a great area, especially for the customers to be able to walk around and have a lot of choices for dining and nightlife," he said. "Competition around here is good.”

Jones is excited for the weather to get warmer so customers can get a chance to use the bar’s new outside patio.

“We’re really excited,” Jones said. “We really like the town of Chapel Hill. We’re just excited to be here and offer something new and be part of the community.”

Mel’s Commissary to open in Carrboro

Al’s Burger Shack, run by Al Bowers and his wife Melody, is bringing some southern home-cooking to Carrboro.

The commissary is due to open in March after the main refrigeration unit is installed in February.

The idea for the restaurant was influenced by the couple's time catering in Winston-Salem in the 1980s and Mel's family's home cooking.

The space, previously owned by the Tres Amigos Restaurant and Cantina, will now be serving up a seasonal menu of soups, salads, entrees and sides every weekday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“It’s sort of a tribute to those southern ladies that were all down-home, good cooks,” Mel said.

Melody looks forward to serving up her mom’s deviled eggs, her aunt’s caramel cake and various specials and entrees that will change every day.

Melody said that the driving force behind the expansion was the need for more space to prep food for the burger shack.

“I hope that our guests walk into my mother’s back door and pull up a chair at our kitchen table,” Melody said. “That’s what I hope it feels like.”

TABLE moves to Chapel Hill from Carrboro

TABLE, a Carrboro-based charity, is moving to Chapel Hill.

TABLE's mission is to provide healthy, emergency food aid every week to hungry preschool, elementary and middle school children living in Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

“We are moving to feed more kids,” said executive director Ashton Tippins “That’s as simple as it is.”

TABLE will be moving from its current 1100 sq. ft. location to a new building with over 1900 sq. ft.

The charity began its operations in 2008 feeding 12 kids. TABLE now feeds up to 500 kids every week.

Tippins said that nearly 30 percent of kids, or around 2,000 preschool to middle school aged children, are on reduced meal--leaving them with little to eat during the weekend.

“We really need every person to get involved to be able to solve this issue, feed more kids and provide them with nutrition education,” Tippins said.

@lindseykehres