Two members of Congress from N.C. will skip Trump's inauguration

GK Butterfield.

GK Butterfield.

Representatives G. K. Butterfield, D-N.C., and Alma Adams, D-N.C., released statements Tuesday announcing plans to skip inaugural events.

Butterfield and Adams join a group of over 60 Democratic members of Congress who will not be in attendance.

In their statements, Butterfield said Trump’s divisiveness and lack of knowledge of the presidency make him seem unprepared for the job. Adams said despite Trump’s promises, he has not bridged the partisan divide.

“I cherish our democracy and have a profound respect for the peaceful transition of power,” Adams said in her statement. “However, I cannot in good faith and consciousness pretend to celebrate the inauguration of someone who has spoken so horribly about women, minorities and the disabled. Instead, I am staying home to continue working toward our priorities and to meet with constituents, many of who are fearful of what lies ahead.”

Meaghan Lynch, Butterfield’s spokesperson, said he will not attend due to Trump’s divisive behavior.

“Some of his concerns included the Russian hacking situation and just some of the comments Mr. Trump has made in the past that were insulting to various groups of individuals,” Lynch said. “Those things in totality, Mr. Butterfield felt that he isn’t comfortable attending this year’s inauguration.”

Rep. David Price, D-N.C., said in a statement he plans to attend the inaugural events.

“I will attend the Inauguration on January 20 with pride — pride in our country and the values we must uphold, pride in the rule of law — and determined to make certain that no one, including our president, places himself above the law,” Price said in the statement.

But Price said he has doubts about Trump’s intention or willingness to govern within the bounds of the Constitution, and that he anticipates that Congress may need to hold him accountable.

“Like many of my colleagues, I am appalled by Donald Trump — his evident disregard for democratic values and his willingness to stoke bigotry and the politics of hatred and exclusion,” Price said in the statement. “Grave questions about how he got elected and his ties to a foreign power are currently under investigation.”

Lynch said Butterfield supports the office of the president and hopes Trump has a successful term.

“I would say our expectation is that Donald Trump will work on behalf of everyone and hopefully settle down on some of the comments he has made in the past that people of color and women have found to be offensive,” she said.

@beccaheilman