Here are some of the best dog movies in Hollywood

"Air Bud" may be the best sports movie of all timePhoto taken from Sports Illustrated

"Air Bud" may be the best sports movie of all time

Photo taken from Sports Illustrated

There are very few things that are sacred in this world, and the bond between humankind and dogkind is one of those things.

via GIPHY

A video was uploaded to the internet this past week showing the filming process for the upcoming movie "A Dog’s Purpose." 

In the video, one of the dog actors is shown to be in distress during a scene where the canine had to dive in rushing water.

Said video went viral and elicited a response from animal rights activists against the movie and spokespeople responding on behalf of the movie.

While what happened during the present movie's filming isn't entirely clear, the past is already in place when it comes to dog movies. 

And what is in the past is an excellent collection of dog movies that can be watched guilt-free, if not cringe-free or tear free.

Snow Dogs (2002) 

via GIPHY

It’s winter — surprisingly, there was snow on the ground just a little while ago. In memoriam, "Snow Dogs" kicks off the list. 

A classic tale of man-canine bonding. "Snow Dogs" involves a man learning about his past through dog-sled racing. 

The best reason to watch this movie is that there's a character named Thunder Jack and a dog named Demon. 

Spoiler Alert: "Snow Dogs" has a happy ending.

Eight Below (2006)  

via GIPHY

Like "Snow Dogs," "Eight Below" is also set in the snow. But while "Snow Dogs" takes place in Alaska, "Eight Below" takes place in Antarctica.  

The movie is somewhat unique because, for large chunks of the movie, there are only dogs acting on screen. 

The dog acting is excellent in this movie. 

Spoiler Alert: Crying is likely at some point in this movie, and there are some sad moments. Also, R.I.P. Paul Walker. 

Marley & Me (2008) 

via GIPHY

Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston star in this movie alongside 22 different Labrador Retrievers who play their dog at various stages of his life. 

Life and pets are intertwined in this movie. 

Spoiler Alert: This movie has some sad moments.

Likelihood of crying: high.

Beethoven (1992) and sequels 

via GIPHY

The first "Beethoven" involved a St. Bernard, who the movie is named after, and some serious dog hijinks. 

The name of the movie is derived from a scene where Beethoven (the dog) barks along as one of the kids plays Beethoven (the musician) on the piano. 

Spoiler Alert: other than the name and that one scene, there is not much of a connection between dogs and classical music in this movie. 

Likelihood of crying: low. Ending: happy.

Air Bud (1997) and sequels

via GIPHY

Out of context, the name could be confused with a light beer.  

With some context, a person can tell this movie is about a dog playing basketball. 

Dog + basketball = good feelings (especially here at UNC). 

This a pretty happy movie. 

The Incredible Journey (1963) / Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993) 

via GIPHY

"The Incredible Journey" is a 1963 film by Disney.  

It tells the story of two dogs and a cat making their way through miles of wilderness to their owners. 

The film was remade in 1993 and called "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey" with a storyline similar to the original. 

Both films are accentuated by beautiful nature scenes and focus mainly on the animals’ storyline.

Old Yeller (1957) 

via GIPHY

The granddaddy of all sad dog movies, "Old Yeller" is the name of the film as well as the dog it centers on. 

It's an old movie set during an older time period, but it still reaches across time to tug at viewers' heartstrings. 

Likelihood of crying: a near certainty. Ending: sad.

Cujo (1983) 

via GIPHY

Dogs and horror movies are not commonly paired together, but they are in this 1983 film based on the novel by Stephen King. 

Cujo is a dog who contracts rabies and is violently different afterwards. 

Likelihood of crying: low. Likelihood of screaming: moderately high. Ending: horrifying?

@SethPyle22

swerve@dailytarheel.com