This is a special Swerve playlist written by Tyler Fleming, opinion editor, and David Farrow, editorial board member. The opinions reflected in this column may not necessarily represent Swerve.

It is often popular to say “politics and entertainment should never mix.” It is pretty clear most people don’t actually believe this.

If you enjoy famous songs like “Fortunate Son” by Creedence Clearwater Revival, there is at least one instance of you enjoying music and politics mixing.

Political protest art, rather we agree with its message or not, evokes an emotional response that not many political actors can achieve through speeches or legal writings. While the music here is not often played on dad rock stations like CCR, the songs all call for dissent.

This playlist has a dual purpose. First, is to highlight protest music from a span of decades and causes. A lot of these songs were written in times of fear similar to our own. They satirize global leaders, critique society and show the emotions the artists felt.

The second purpose is to show you don’t have to be a great speaker or editorial writer to contribute to public discourse. If you like making music, you can protest. If you like finger painting, you can protest. Don’t let Fox News’ daily complaints about entertainment and politics mixing deter you from using your form of art as political protest.

This playlist ends with “This Land is Your Land” by Woodie Guthrie for a reason. This land is your land, fight for it.