Inauguration week: an ode to Joe Biden, America's BFF

"The science is ready, it seems to me."
"At small town hall meetings, the way to get a laugh was always to say, 'I'm from the federal government and I'm here to help.' Really and truly, though, I am from the federal government and I'm here to say - we need advice on how we can be more helpful," said Vice President Joe Biden while at a panel at Duke University discussing his cancer moonshot efforts.
"The science is ready, it seems to me." "At small town hall meetings, the way to get a laugh was always to say, 'I'm from the federal government and I'm here to help.' Really and truly, though, I am from the federal government and I'm here to say - we need advice on how we can be more helpful," said Vice President Joe Biden while at a panel at Duke University discussing his cancer moonshot efforts.

Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. is many things. 

The vibrant 74-year-old from Scranton, Pennsylvania has held several titles throughout his life: senator of Delaware (the longest running ever), chairman of Senate Foreign Relations Committee and Senate Judiciary Committee and, over the past eight years, the 47th Vice President of the United States of America. 

To most, however, he’s just known as Joe.

And Joe, politics aside, is America’s favorite grandpa.

Everything about him screams “grandpa" and it's not just the wrinkles, the gray hair or the fact that he’s 74. 

Joe gives you advise whenever you need it, he’s always there to help, he settles arguments whenever two people can’t get along, he’ll step in to be the boss if no one else will, and he’s pretty damn chill with the kids.

Even comedian and talk-show host Stephen Colbert views him as such, referring to Biden as “pops” during a Dec. 6 airing of a “Family Meeting” segment sketch.

Joe’s exuberance, passion and joyful personality have led to tons of memorable moments during his term as vice president.

He’s grown close to his boss, President Barack Obama, during his time as second-in-command. The duo has said they see themselves as brothers, which is seen through their playful moments and unending support for one another.

The two shared an especially touching moment, with a tearful Joe accepting the Medal of Freedom in a ceremony that “shocked the hell out of” him. 

Biden's attitude towards his tenure can humorously be summed up by the following gifs…

via GIPHY

via GIPHY

via GIPHY

And, of course, endless memes.

Joe has lived an eventful two terms, presenting all Americans with many moments that will be immortalized by the media. It’s safe to say his legacy — and his portrayal in the many hilarious memes — is, in the words he once whispered during the 2010 signing of the Affordable Care Act, “a big fucking deal.” 

via GIPHY

@TheMark12

swerve@dailytarheel.com