Saturday January 22nd

Letter: ​Stop Sessions from being appointed

With confirmation hearings now underway for cabinet appointees of President-elect Trump, today I joined the NAACP in delivering a letter to Senator Thom Tillis’ Raleigh office expressing concern over the nomination of Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL) to the position of Attorney General.

This is a uniquely powerful cabinet position given its oversight of the Department of Justice as well as legal representation of the government.

Federal oversight has protected voting rights, assisted police departments in eliminating biases, protected trans rights and facilitated state-level marijuana decriminalization under the Obama administration.

I along with many other Americans oppose the nomination of Sessions because of his consistent history of racism and racial insensitivity, demonization of civil rights causes and groups and callous attitudes toward women and the LGBT community.

Senator Tillis sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee that must approve Sessions before the Senate may vote to confirm him.

I urge North Carolinians to contact Tillis’ office at (202) 224-6342 and urge him to demand a more appropriate nominee.

Calvin Deutschbein

Graduate student

Computer science

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021