Letter: Student-athletes should not be paid

On many college campuses, student-athletes are seeking monetary payments for their performances on the playing field. Paying student-athletes would jeopardize the very existence of collegiate athletics.

The notion that collegiate athletic programs are profitable is a common misconception. NCAA data shows that only 24 Football Bowl Subdivision schools earned an operating surplus on college athletic programs in 2014.

Having to pay student-athletes would increase operating costs astronomically for athletic departments. The bidding war for college athletes would ignite an arms race that would bankrupt less successful teams.

Paying collegiate athletes would move the market for college athletics to an equilibrium of fewer teams that would mirror the number of teams in premier professional leagues, providing fewer roster spots and opportunities for potential student-athletes.

If 40 to 50 players on a college football team were to receive pay instead of scholarships, the university could scale back the number of scholarships granted to female student-athletes, according to Title IX.

Student-athletes deserve representative positions on NCAA committees. They should also be entitled to free legal representation. Having such legal and physical representation would assure that student-athletes are not taken advantage of by universities or the NCAA. However, monetary payment would only hurt student-athletes.

Kent McKane

First-Year

Economics