New housing portal tool allows students to swap rooms

Residence Hall Story, Kenan.
Residence Hall Story, Kenan.

“In the past we had a tool that we previously used that was created almost six years ago and when you’re referring to online applications that’s very dated and we had moved to just accepting emails,” Steven Wiley, the assignments coordinator for the Department of Housing and Residential Education, said.

The new tool allows students to request what building, what type of room and whom they want to live with. It also has the option to swap rooms with other students — something the old system did not offer.

“It just kind of simplifies the reassignment process and makes it easily accessible for students who want to submit a reassignment request,” Wiley said.

“It’s a more user-friendly interface so it’s easier to read and then with this data now we have the opportunity to offer reassignments a little more streamlined than they had been in the past.”

Wednesday morning, UNC Housing tweeted, “The waitlist/reassignment portal is a new system, so there are still some kinks we are trying to work out. Sorry for any inconvenience.”

The inconvenience mentioned in the tweet was a ten minute delay in the tools release.

“(We were) getting details finalized before we opened up to everyone,” Wiley said. “Just a font here, terminology there.”

Besides the delay, the tool had no other issues.

“There was no issues that we were aware of. The tool launched ten minutes later than we stated,” Rick Bradley, the associate director of the Department of Housing and Residential Education, said in an email. “It has no bugs and is working as intended. One student had a log-in issue, but that was tied to his ONYEN and not a problem with the tool. Well over 300 other students have logged in and completed their requests as designed,”

Aleigha Jordan Grant, a first-year exercise and sports science major, said she easily used the new tool with a friend so they could live together next semester in Rams Village. She tweeted at UNC Housing to see if there was a fee for switching rooms.

“You just had to fill out your information, what your room number was and every think like that. It was really easy to set up. I’m on a waitlist, I think like 149th on the waitlist so well see where we go from there.”

Grant said she was told that whenever a room opened up, students would receive an email and they would be given 24 hours to either accept or decline the option.

As of 3:30 p.m., Wiley said there had been 110 group requests and 209 individual reassignment requests.