UNC men's basketball holds off Ky Bowman, Boston College for 90-82 win

Despite getting a scare on the road from Boston College, the No. 9 North Carolina men’s basketball team was able to hold off the Eagles and secure a 90-82 victory in Chestnut Hill on Saturday.

The Tar Heels (18-3, 6-1 ACC) got all they could handle from Boston College (9-11, 2-5 ACC), as first-year point guard Ky Bowman scored 33 points on seven made 3-pointers. But Justin Jackson and Kennedy Meeks both scored at least 20 points and always had an answer when it looked like the Eagles were gaining momentum.

While there were moments of this game where UNC looked lackadaisical, it played with enough energy to take care of business in a trap game.

Foot off the gas

With six minutes remaining in the first half, North Carolina held a comfortable 27-17 lead and looked as if it had taken control of the game. But the Tar Heels were careless with the ball and went scoreless for nearly four minutes, as Boston College tied the game after 10 straight points by Bowman.

Although the Tar Heels went into the half with a 34-33 lead, they allowed a struggling team to gain confidence. Boston College then came out in the second half with the mindset that it could play with UNC, and the Eagles made North Carolina earn the win in the second half.

Berry delivers late

For the majority of the game, junior guard Joel Berry didn’t look like himself. He had a tough time staying in front of Bowman, and he was 2-of-8 from the floor with a pair of turnovers in the game's first 38 minutes.

But with just over a minute to play and North Carolina nursing a six-point lead, the shot clock was running out and Berry had to make a play.

He hit his defender with a strong crossover and buried a three with 1:13 remaining to give UNC an 81-72 lead. His shot proved to be the dagger, as any hope for a Boston College comeback died as the shot swished through the net.

Even though this was far from Berry’s best performance this season, he came through when it mattered most.

Pounding the glass

For a team with the best rebounding margin in the country, it was odd that North Carolina was tied on the glass with Boston College at halftime. But as the game wore on, the Tar Heels finally took control and finished with a 43-31 edge in rebounds.

With North Carolina up by three points with less than six minutes remaining, Theo Pinson scored two straight baskets on offensive rebound putbacks. On the next possession, Isaiah Hicks followed up a Berry miss and converted.

North Carolina had 24 second-chance points Saturday. With Boston College playing with just one true big, the Tar Heels were able to use their size and athleticism to take advantage of the smaller front line.

@david_adler94