UNC wrestling finds bright spot in "Brawl at the Hall" loss to NC State

UNC wrestling squared off against NC State in the "Brawl at the Hall" on Monday night. The match took place on the stage in Memorial Hall.

After suffering its fourth loss in a row against N.C. State on Monday, the North Carolina wrestling team filed out of its dressing-room-turned-locker-room at Memorial Hall. But despite falling short yet again, an upbeat energy emanated from the Tar Heels.

UNC’s 19-11 loss against the No. 9 Wolfpack (9-1, 2-0 ACC) was certainly no laughing matter. But after a thrilling contest to the tune of a raucous crowd, the Tar Heels (5-5, 0-2 ACC) had plenty to smile about after the match.

“I’ve seen a lot of wrestling matches,” head coach Coleman Scott said, “This was probably one of the cooler ones I’ve been a part of.”

NBA-style player introductions, smoke machines and thrilling upsets — the match had it all. Coined the “Brawl at the Hall,” Monday’s match became an instant classic after it saw two overtime matches and two unranked Tar Heels upset top-15 opponents.

Considering last year’s Tar Heels took a 28-8 beating at the hands of the same N.C. State team, an electrifying competition — even if it ended in a loss — was a step in the right direction. But perhaps more encouraging than UNC’s valiant effort, the Tar Heels believe they could have played much better.

“I’m proud of them,” Scott said. “But that’s not our best product — for everybody, top to bottom.”

While Scott believes his team has plenty to improve upon, Monday’s contest saw two first-time Tar Heels make strides on the biggest stage of the year.

First-year Nicholas Lirette and transfer student Daniel Chaid both picked up huge upsets and signature wins as the team approaches the final stretch of its ACC slate.

For the two newcomers, seeing their work off the mat manifest into impact victories has them looking to maintain progress.

“We’ve been working real hard in the practice room, and I felt confident going in,” Chaid said. “I feel like my confidence has been getting better all year.”

Lirette’s win was also a huge confidence boost, as the Louisiana product defeated N.C. State’s 15th-ranked Jamal Morris — who handed him a tech fall in just under two minutes when they met earlier this season.

“I definitely had a rough start at the beginning of the year,” Lirette said, “And just picking up little victories like this keeps you motivated.”

Going forward, neither Lirette nor his coaches are settling for little victories any more.

“It only gets tougher from here,” Scott said. “Now you expect that every time.”

Chaid and Lirette were a combined 13-19 entering the contest against the Wolfpack. But now, having proven they can play among the best in the nation, they will be relied on for impact victories every match.

“I wouldn’t call them upsets anymore,” Lirette said. “I’d just call it what’s supposed to happen now.”

From now on, both players will work to ensure Scott and the Tar Heel faithful have plenty to smile about.

@_Brohammed