Word on the Street: What do you think of the Ackland donation?

On Wednesday, the Ackland Art Museum received 134 works of art valued at $17 million, the largest donation ever for the museum. The donation included seven works by Rembrandt, which makes the Ackland the first public university art museum in the United States to own a collection of drawings by Rembrandt.

On the day after the announcement, staff writer Lily Lou asked art enthusiasts: What do you think of the donation? 

Morgan McFalls 

Junior history major

“I’m really excited because the Ackland is such a cool museum on campus, and it provides such a rich experience to students here to see art all over. I’m really grateful for that experience, and it’s a really unique experience at UNC. I’m really glad they got more funding because we really need to support the arts.”

Izzy Mclaughlin 

Senior global studies major

“I know personally as a studio art minor it’s really helpful to be able to go over there and look at work from artists. Before the grant, they had a pretty large collection, so I think it’s great that it’s going to allow them to have even more works there, and hopefully more visiting artists as well.”

David Tang 

Junior biology major

“It’s good for our school and the art museum.”

Jonathan Parker Davis 

Junior studio art major

“It’s great, and I think the world needs to get more involved with art… I think it’s great that they’re expanding and doing some big stuff with that.”

Miranda Elston 

Ph.D. candidate in art history

“I think it’s absolutely amazing. The Ackland really deserves it. It shows the connection that the Ackland has with the community. And, it’s well timed in terms of the politics, and the funding, and the arts.”

Darla deMontesquiou 

First-year psychology major

“I’m in a prehistoric art class right now under the anthropology department. ... It’s interesting to see all the stuff they have in (the Ackland Art Museum). Normally, I might be of the opinion that if you’re not a huge art person it’s not a big deal, but there are a couple classes that incorporate their curriculum with the Ackland Art museum, and I think that’s a great way to bring in the art world to college campuses.”

@lilylouu_

swerve@dailytarheel.com