All Up In Your Business: Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools raises living wage rate

Lincoln Center
Lincoln Center

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools became the largest living wage certified organization in Orange County in 2016, but the school system recently proposed raising their living wage rate to $13.16 per hour.

“The living wage is a core community value,” said Todd LoFrese, CHCCS assistant superintendent for support services. “It supports the local economy and helps our service workers. It is supported by our district leadership.”

The proposal was composed by the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education on Jan. 19. It is on the current agenda for final approval for Thursday’s board meeting, LoFrese said.

The living wage does not apply to volunteers, students working for CHCCS, substitute teachers or any positions requiring certification or license by the state.

The policy also has special wording for employees that CHCCS employs through contracts.

LoFrese said House Bill 2 requires the board to request that contractors offer a living wage to their employees, but they cannot require it.

Clarification: A previous version of this story was mistakenly published. The story has been updated.