Board of Elections asks to extend elections delay

The Board of Elections is asking the UNC Supreme Court to further delay student elections.

Acting on behalf of the board, chairperson Paul Kushner made a formal request to the UNC Supreme Court Monday for an extension on the elections injunction.

On Sunday, the UNC Supreme Court placed an injunction on the BOE and the election until the BOE had the required five members, but Kushner said they want the injunction to go beyond when the BOE has their required members. He said extending the injunction will allow the BOE to complete disciplinary procedures. 

"Come Thursday at five o'clock, everything is essentially put on pause and we don’t want to resume, we would prefer it that the election not resume until after such at time that all of the disciplinary procedures that were going on had been instituted," Kushner said.

Candidate Joe Nail was disqualified by the Board of Elections for disciplinary reasons Saturday, but the Supreme Court re-qualified him as a candidate at the same time as the original injunction.

Candidates are still allowed to collect signatures despite the injunction. Their deadline to turn in signatures to get on the ballot is Thursday at 5 p.m

Kushner said if the board can complete the disciplinary process first, only the approved candidates' signatures will be counted for certification.