Clef Hangers to host aca-awesome a cappella festival

Clefchella is an annual a cappella concert hosted by the Clef Hangers. Above are the groups that performed in 2015. Photo Courtesy of Jared Weber.

UNC’s oldest a cappella group, the UNC Clef Hangers, will be hosting their two-day invitational, Clefchella.

This concert was planned by the newer members of the group to allow for them to gain more experience in leadership, Clef Hangers’ president Chris Burrus said. Burrus was one of the organizers during his first year.

“The Clef Hangers always have their freshmen coordinate the concerts,” he said. “There’s a lineage in orchestration so we can give advice about planning the events and what we could have done differently.”

Senior Swain Molster, member of the Clef Hangers, is excited for the event.

“It’s my favorite performance,” Molster said. “We bring in some good talent from across the country.”

One of these groups is The Michigan G-Men from the University of Michigan, who have performed at Clefchella in the past.

“We’ve created good relationships with these groups over the years,” Burrus said.

There are also some groups performing that are new to Clefchella: Elon’s Sweet Signatures and N.C. State’s Acappology.

Also joining them are the Loreleis, another prominent UNC a cappella group and Clefchella regulars.

Both groups are sponsored by the General Alumni Association, which has contributed to the close relationship the groups have, junior and Loreleis’ publicity manager Aryana Bolourian said.

“We’ll do some gigs together and we also hang out outside of a cappella,” Bolourian said. “We try to have at least one mixer per semester and we’re always hanging out before basketball games.”

And basketball will be playing a major role in this concert.

To get ready for the UVA-UNC game, the Clef Hangers and the Loreleis will be performing with the University of Virginia’s Hullabahoos and The Virginia Sil’hooettes on day two of the invitational.

“We’re planning on watching the game (after Clefchella) with the Clefs at the house,” said Elisabeth Fellowes, president of the Sil’hooettes.

“We can’t wait to win,” Fellowes said.

The groups will be performing the songs “Daddy Lessons,” “Running” and more.

The Loreleis, Sil’hooettes and Clef Hangers will each be unveiling a “senior song” during the concert, which will give one of the graduating members a solo for their final season of a cappella.

So come out on Friday and Saturday to hear some amazing singing.

And be able to judge for yourself who the pregnant-with-twins-Beyoncé of Clefchella will be.

@karynhbrown

swerve@dailytarheel.com