Tuesday August 16th

Courtney Staton and Alexander Peeples to be next Campus Y co-presidents

Campus Y Co-President Forum 6-7 on Wednesday night
Buy Photos Campus Y Co-President Forum 6-7 on Wednesday night

Courtney Staton and Alexander Peeples have been elected as the co-presidents of the Campus Y for the 2017-18 school year.

Peeples and Staton said they are excited to get started.

“I mean, honestly, just getting to work and being surrounded by so many people who are willing to work really rocks,” Staton said.

Peeples said they are grateful for the support they received through the campaign.

“I think from so many parts of campus … people who really cared about social justice — in and outside of the Y, activists and co-chairs — really helped us. And even beyond endorsements, just the emotional and personal kindness and support, we can’t say thanks enough for that,” he said.

Sophomores Nick McKenzie and Asha Patel, who ran against Peeples and Staton, said they’re happy for the other pair.

“We lost, but it was a great experience for both of us, and we wish Courtney and Alexander the best of luck with this position,” McKenzie said. “We think they’re going to provide a lot of great leadership.”

McKenzie said he and Patel enjoyed the campaign and met a lot of passionate people through the process.

“We learned a lot about ourselves and the Y, and we’re happy that we have two more years to contribute to the Y and stay involved,” he said.

Peeples said social justice is an important part of UNC’s campus.

“UNC, I think, needs social justice ... more now than ever,” he said. “I think that’s a little cliche, and the Campus Y has done a good job this year, and we can continue to do a better job.”

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022