SBP elections: Elizabeth Adkins says diversity will be her strength

Elizabeth Adkins is a junior political science and journalism major and is running to be Student Body President.

“In the months leading up to now, I kept thinking about running, and I think what kept holding me back was the question, ‘Am I electable?’” she said. “What kept me from answering ‘yes’ was my identity as an Asian-American woman, a first-generation college student and a whole list of other things.”

Adkins said after talking with friends and family, she realized her identity wasn’t a weakness, but a strength.

“After I was able to realize that, I was able to say that no one should ever feel like their capability is jeopardized because of their personal identity,” she said.

Junior Mehak Shamdasani works in outreach for Adkins’ campaign and said she’s been friends with her since they were kids.

“The whole time, she has constantly been working on improving her leadership abilities,” Shamdasani said. “She’s been involved in student government since middle school, and she has been very effective in every aspect of student government.”

Shamdasani said she’s voting for Adkins because she believes Adkins’ diverse background will help her represent the student body.

Sophomore Sean Kurz, who’s also on Adkins’ campaign, said her campaign has made a plan to get things done.

“She really delves into how she’s going to do the things she wants to do. For combatting sexual assault, it’s not ‘I want to combat sexual assault,’ it’s ‘I want to create a student task force on health and wellness,” Kurz said.

Kurz said he started seeing Adkins as a leader after his first encounter with her in student government.

“I walked into this room for our first meeting and didn’t know anyone,” he said. “I was really nervous about being a first-year in student government, but I was just welcomed by the biggest smile and the biggest hello in the whole world. It was Elizabeth welcoming me to my first meeting.”