'I was supposed to be deported today': Couple continues to hope despite legal concern

(From left) Courtney Staton and Alexander Peeples have been named the new co-presidents of the campus Y.

Felipe Molina Mendoza and his boyfriend Francisco Vargas Guadalupe spent Valentine’s Day at Mendoza’s immigration hearing in Charlotte. He was allowed to remain in the U.S. on Tuesday while awaiting a possible ruling from the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on his case.

Audio Director Alice Wilder has been following the couple’s story.

The Daily Tar Heel: Like most high school seniors, Felipe Molina Mendoza was planning for his future. It was 2009. Several universities had invited him to apply for scholarships, and he wanted advice.

Felipe Mendoza: That’s when my counselor told me well it’s great that you have all this — offers and opportunities to apply for them — but, um, they all require socials and you don’t have a social.

DTH: Social, as in social security card. Felipe is undocumented. This was the moment he realized just how deeply being undocumented would affect his future. Felipe came to the United States in 2000 when he was eight years old. His mom gave him a choice:

FM: She told me, you know what, you can either stay here and just work like a regular job or you can go back to Mexico and I’ll pay for your college.

DTH: So in September 2009, Felipe took his mom up on her offer and moved to Mexico City, even though it meant he would be away from his family for the first time.

FM: I remember when we crossed the border from the United States to Mexico. In that moment I had, like, a lot of regret. It was like basically like if they took you and they cut all your connections away and you were just thrown into, like, a place, but I knew I had to do it — I guess in that moment because that was like basically my only choice. And in 2010 between having the struggle of not having papers and having to leave the United States, I also had my internal struggle of being, my feelings about my orientation.

DTH: That year, Felipe came out as gay.

FM: I was like I don’t want to live a life where I gotta be, like, hiding. I kind of did that many years here. And so I came out openly and in a way it helped me. So a lot of people ask me, why couldn’t you just stay on the low and I was just like, well, it was one of the things that kind of helped me cope with things. It was something that made me proud at least to accept myself and um, but uh, in Mexico it wasn’t like the best decision I guess. I was called faggot, marica, which is another slang bad word for faggot in Spanish, puto, I think you might know that one and it got to the point where it started transitioning from being just verbal into people pushing you.

DTH: Men threw bottles at Felipe when he held hands with his boyfriend in public. Once, while walking together, they were followed by a group of men who chased them down the street. Felipe and his boyfriend ran into a metro station and told police what was happening.

enterprise@dailytarheel.com

Hear the rest of the story: