Letter: ​Let the fro grow for UNC Walk for Health

In support of North Carolina star basketball players Joel Berry, Isaiah Hicks and Justin Jackson and their sculptured afro dreadlocks hairstyles, UNC Walk for Health has begun a campaign to encourage the entire Tar Heel team to “let the locks of the hair on their heads grow long” for the rest of the season. (Nm. 6:5, Lv. 19:27: 21:5).

The first 40 UNC students who register or request via email at uncwalkforhealth.com will receive a complimentary custom Carolina blue “Let the Fro Grow” T-shirt.

They must pledge to wear the shirt at the final home game against Duke on March 4.

Long-locked hair is really antennae, which can receive and transmit divine energy.

This “Let the Fro Grow” initiative is a spiritual or spiral thing. The Supreme Spirit (God) spins or spirals the universe. The entire universe moves forever in spirals.

The spiral motion and design is built into all lifeforms. Plants, including the fruits and vegetables we eat everyday, spiral up from the soil. DNA, the life-giving molecule, is a double helix spiral. Your blood spirals through your veins. Planets spiral. Stars spiral. Galaxies spiral. And yes, your hair spirals out from its hair roots!

Samson, a Nazarite, is the most famous example of long-locked hair. Jesus was also a Nazarite: a vow of Nazarites was to never cut his hair.

Hopefully by tapping into the divine energy of the universal Creator, we can inspire excellent athletic leadership from Joel, Isaiah and Justin to help bring a national championship back to UNC this April.

William Thorpe

UNC Walk for Health