Letter: ​Policy-makers should observe classrooms

I have never been one to be scared of “bureaucracy,” but recent appointments have me worried. My reasons for concern are, to be honest, selfish. But I also find them valid, and I won’t stop fighting for what I think is right.

I am a college student, born of two educators. My father is a kindergarten teacher with over twenty years of experience. My mother is a first grade assistant who is still new to her career.

The previous state administration attempted to cut her job once.

If this new federal administration slashes funding, as they hope to, my mother will lose her job. Period. If this happens I will not be able to afford school, and neither will my sister who attends another UNC-system school.

If this administration slashes funding for federal aid I will not be able to afford school. I will, after 18 years of hard work, be forced into either crippling debt or waiting to complete my education when I can afford it.

This all said, I am extraordinarily privileged. I have two parents who work full-time jobs. Other students don’t. The government seems to forget this fact when making policy.

When education policy is made it changes the lives of countless students, educators, administrators and parents, among others across the state and the country.

My plea for the incoming administration is to go to a classroom, observe and see the everyday struggles.

Only then should policy changes be considered.

Cole Barnhill

First-Year

Political Science and Public Policy