Letter: UNC Persian Cultural Society is here for you

On Friday, Jan. 27, President Trump issued an executive order that severely restricts immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries and the admission of refugees to the United States.

Undoubtedly, the Executive Order has affected many students and professors at our university. Within UNC’s Persian Cultural Society, this policy has led students to express sincere concern and fear about their futures. For an organization comprised of many individuals who have Iranian citizenship and/or close ties to the country, the Executive Order is of particular consequence.

A goal of the Persian Cultural Society is to spread awareness and appreciation for the rich and diverse culture of Iran. Even more broadly, PCS aims to promote diversity and to enhance cross-cultural engagement throughout the University and local community. In our organization, we welcome students from various backgrounds, and we value the unique perspectives that they offer. The policy in question directly opposes these values of inclusivity and open-mindedness that we wholeheartedly embrace.

Already, UNC has seen the mobilization of various students, faculty and staff and campus organizations on this issue. UNC has announced its intention to monitor the situation and to keep the campus informed of any changes. It also encouraged students to consult immigration specialists regarding travel to Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.

We, as an organization, are hopeful about the potential to join in these efforts to foster dialogue. Our organization will focus on collaborating with other groups on campus to create opportunities for students to engage in this matter.

There is power in strong alliances. Please join us now in calling N.C. senators and representatives to support legislation that nullifies the executive order.

We encourage you to read STAND’s action guide at goo.gl/Zfht7w, which includes a sample script and contact information for your state’s representatives.

UNC Persian Cultural Society