Scientists discovered seven new planets, so let's talk about space movies

Silverspot Cinema, located at University Place, is pictured in October 2015.

A study showing the existence of seven Earth-sized planets 40 light-years away was published Wednesday in "Nature," a scientific journal.

While it's possible some of the planets could support or have life on them, for the average person, the immediate implications of this discovery are limited to being a conversation starter.

So to help keep this conversation going, here are seven movies (that aren't "Space Jam") where life beyond Earth had serious implications. 

1. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982

via GIPHY

The film that taught us friendship is universal and extra-terrestrials enjoy Reese’s Pieces. "E.T." is a wholesome family movie involving a stranded alien trying to get home. "E.T." takes place on Earth.  

2. Alien (1979) 

via GIPHY

In the same way "E.T." taught us that friendship is universal, "Alien" taught us fear is universal. 

"Alien" is pest control gone wrong in space. Never trust an android.

"Alien" is considered Sigourney Weaver’s break-out movie and established her as a master of bad-ass roles. "Alien" does not take place on Earth. 

3. Star Trek (2009) 

via GIPHY

The reboot of a franchise is not always a good thing, but in this case, it is. 

"Star Trek" as a franchise is about exploration and the wonder of the great beyond. It's about a villain upset enough to travel back in time, along with James Kirk and Spock becoming the odd couple. "Star Trek" takes place on Earth and elsewhere.

4. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) 

via GIPHY

The film adaptation of the Marvel comic "Guardians of the Galaxy" offers a more fantastical universe than the typical space movies.

Any film that features a talking raccoon and tree is a sure-fire bet for a good movie. "Guardians of the Galaxy" takes place on Earth and elsewhere.

5. Ender’s Game (2013) 

via GIPHY

Also an adaptation, "Ender’s Game" is based on the best-selling novel by Orson Scott Card. 

"Ender’s Game" examines the morality of war through the lens of battling an alien race that had almost wiped out humanity years before the events in the movie. "Ender’s Game" takes place on Earth and elsewhere.

6. Avatar (2009) 

via GIPHY

When "Avatar" was released, it set a box-office record for highest grossing film of all time. 

James Cameron’s epic is about cultural collisions, environmental protection and one man finding where he belongs.

On a side note, Sigourney Weaver is also in "Avatar." "Avatar" does not take place on Earth.

7. The Iron Giant (1999)  

via GIPHY

"The Iron Giant" capped off a decade of great animation. 

While it's a kids' movie, it has some adult themes. 

"The Iron Giant," as the name implies, involves a sentient alien robot becoming friends with a lonely boy. The military and the Iron Giant have a bit of a misunderstanding. 

The movie teaches you that you are who you choose to be and it doesn’t take a heart to be human. "The Iron Giant" takes place on Earth.

@sethpyle22

swerve@dailytarheel.com