Season preview: UNC softball

Junior Kendra Lynch pitches in the ACC Softball Tournament held in Raleigh on Thursday

How do they play?

This year’s team features a multitude of young faces, with 10 first-years and only eight returning players from its 2016 team.

In the team’s opening weekend in Puerto Rico, first-year Brittany Pickett led the Tar Heels to their first win of the season against California, going 2-for-3 at the plate and pitching a complete game. UNC is returning 87.6 percent of its innings pitched from last season — including redshirt sophomore Sydney Matzko, who missed the bulk of last season due to an injury — but is looking to fill the void that has been left behind the plate.

Who stands out?

Kendra Lynch, senior pitcher and designated player: Lynch is set to be the veteran face on the mound and at the plate for a team with such a young roster. During the opening weekend, Lynch hit two home runs in two straight at-bats in UNC’s 7-3 win over Georgia Tech.

And after being a constant presence on the mound as UNC’s only true starter in 2016 — she earned first-team All-ACC honors and ranked seventh in the country in wins (28) — Lynch will continue to be a force on an experienced pitching staff.

Taylor Wike, junior shortstop: After ranking in the top 10 in the ACC in doubles (13) during her sophomore year, Wike will be one of the veteran core-hitters for the Tar Heels. Wike started 55 games at second base for UNC last year and only missed one game throughout the entire 2016 season, showing the type of consistency that will be essential for a developing UNC team.

Wike will make the move to shortstop this season, where she will try to fill the shoes of 2016 first-team All-American Kristen Brown — UNC’s all-time leader in home runs, runs batted in, total bases and slugging percentage.

Destiny DeBerry, sophomore outfielder: DeBerry will be a spark for UNC in the outfield and on the basepaths in 2017. She swiped 33 bases for the Tar Heels last season — the fourth-highest individual season total in program history — and finished 24th in the nation in stolen bases.

As the veteran members of the team look to set an example for their younger teammates at the start of the season, DeBerry will be the face of hustle for the Tar Heels.

Biggest game?

In a three-game series before the beginning of the ACC Tournament, the Tar Heels will have the opportunity to prove their capability against a dominant Florida State team that sits atop the preseason conference standings and owns a spot in the top four in both preseason national polls.

The Seminoles advanced to the Women’s College World Series semifinals in 2016 before falling to Auburn.

What’s their weakness?

With only two juniors and two seniors, the Tar Heels lack a strong upperclassman presence. While UNC debuts a talented incoming first-year class — including Pickett, Kellyn Daly and Hannah Nommensen to help keep Lynch fresh on the mound — the team is already a step behind as it works to fill the holes left behind from losing six seniors last season.

Players like Lynch will have to continue to be a dominating force on both sides of the field for a young team that is bound to make mistakes.

Could they win it all?

Although UNC will have to take the time to grow as a unit, the young presence in its lineup will not hurt the Tar Heels, especially with recruits like Pickett, who has already proved she can lead on both sides of the field.

North Carolina boasts a number of incoming players who will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact under the guidance of its veteran returners.

With a willingness to learn and a desire to get better, the strength of each individual working together can prove to be an effective recipe against more experienced teams.

@jordymae012