Students create storytelling podcast 'Mnemosyne'

Photo taken by Caroline Porter. 

Photo taken by Caroline Porter. 

A few UNC students are channeling this timeless power of storytelling into their new literary podcast, Mnemosyne.

Sophomores India Mackinson, Erin Scannell and Kieran Hodnett came up with the idea last semester, wanting a new platform for creative writers on campus to showcase their work.

“We really want it to be an outlet for UNC students who may not necessarily be majoring in literature or English to give their stories,” Hodnett said. ”Everyone is really interesting and has their own tales to tell.”

Scannell wanted to give the podcast a name related to nonfiction — Mnemosyne was the Greek goddess of memory, and was believed to be the inventress of speech and writings.

Mackinson said she loves creative writing and felt compelled to start a new creative platform due to the exclusive nature of some of the big student literary and art publications on campus.

She said they can be difficult to become involved with, and hopes Mnemosyne will provide a more accessible outlet for creative students.

“We wanted to make a place where it’s easy to get on and just share what you’re doing,” Mackinson said. “We just wanted an extra place for creative writers to showcase their work.”

The group said they’re hoping students will submit nonfiction pieces, spoken word and memoirs to Mnemosyne.

They are currently looking for serious or entertaining nonfiction pieces, but said they might like to showcase some fiction in the future.

The theme for the upcoming podcast is “Strangers.”

Students are encouraged to submit writings about their interactions with strangers, or their own personal interpretation of what the word “stranger” could mean.

Once Mnemosyne is running, the students hope to come out with an episode every month, hopefully building up to one or two episodes a week.

They hope for the first episode to come out in March. The deadline for student submissions for the March podcast is March 1.

Scannell said she thinks storytelling has the power to create bonds through the sharing of common human experiences.

She hopes Mnemosyne will help foster this connection on campus and encourage students to share these experiences.

“Storytelling is a means of connection,” Scannell said.

“I think it’d be great if the podcast contributed to that on this campus, and just acknowledging how cool and complex everyone’s lives are around us.”

@kaitlynbgreen

swerve@dailytarheel.com