Deborah Crowder responds to NCAA allegations

Deborah Crowder, who was named in the second Amended Notice of Allegations from the NCAA as administering fake classes for the African and Afro-American Studies Department, has released an affidavit stating that the accusations against her are untrue.

"Ms. Crowder was a dedicated public servant who worked with Professor (Julius) Nyang’oro to help students by providing them with customized educational opportunities that were academically rigorous, violated no university policies, and met the interests and needs of the student," the letter to Jonathan Duncan, vice president of enforcement for the NCAA, says.

The affidavit and letter were sent through Crowder's lawyer, Elliot Abrams of the Cheshire Group. The response comes four days before UNC is set to respond to the most recent ANOA

"I believe that our university owes a duty to educate and assist students," the affidavit states. "When institutional problems threatened to harm our students and to prevent them from getting an education, or when advisors made mistakes that threatened to harm students’ futures, I believed we had a duty to protect the students and their futures — not by giving away grades, but by providing customized educational opportunities for students to solve problems created by the institutional bureaucracy."