Editor-in-chief candidate Tyler Fleming wants transparency at DTH

The only candidate for Editor-in-Chief of The Daily Tar Heel for 2017-2018 is Tyler Fleming, the current Opinion Editor.

With the increase of digital distribution of news and the rise of fake news on the internet, Fleming sees the role of media in any form as important.

“Given now, more than ever, we need a media that’s transparent and very open,” he said. “I think it’s unfair for us to just assume that our readers trust us. I feel that’s something that’s been a tradition in the media, but I want to change things and start showing people why they should trust us.”

Fleming said if he’s appointed as editor-in-chief, he wants to focus not only on outside issues but on internal issues as well. He said financial issues would be a chief concern — which he admits is unusual for somebody running for a strictly newsroom position.

“If the financial situation is so bad that the paper discontinues to operate, that affects everybody,” he said. “I really want to make making a sustainable business model for the DTH a newsroom issue, because if we’re going to change our business plan we need to do it in a way that accommodates what the newsroom needs.”

Fleming, a political science and history major, was the assistant opinion editor before being promoted to editor this year.

“I think we need someone who will act as a voice for this paper, who’s in charge and who’s willing to speak to the community from everybody, from the highest administration offices to down to the person who just walks in into this office who’s curious,” he said.

Kate Stotesbery, a member of The Daily Tar Heel’s editorial board, said she feels Fleming is qualified because of his compassion both for journalism and for people.

“I think what makes him really qualified is his thoughtfulness, that he is incredibly thoughtful about every story, every community issue and every idea that is put forward to him,” she said.

“But what really sets him apart is his sensitivity and his empathy — both working with staff people but also understanding exactly what story is most important for Chapel Hill, what really makes it tick and what community issues really have a heart to them and have some more meat behind them.”

Penny Abernathy, a professor who holds the Knight chair in UNC’s School of Media and Journalism, taught Fleming in his sophomore year in digital media economics. She said she feels Fleming is qualified not only because of his friendly nature, but because of his unique farsightedness.

“I think he’s a person who’s very optimistic — very can-do — he listens well and he makes you feel like you’re the center of attention,” she said. “He’s a fabulous people person and has a sense of where things need to be in six months to a year. You want an editor who has a vision.”