'Hamilton' heads to Durham for fall 2018

Next year, the Durham Performing Arts Center will become "the room where it happens" — as award-winning musical "Hamilton" arrives in 2018

“We have been working on this engagement for well over a year, and it’s great to now be able to share the news,” said Bob Klaus, general manager at DPAC, in a statement. “Most of all we're excited for fans of Broadway, not only here in the Triangle, but throughout central and eastern Carolina." 

John Patrick, a UNC drama professor, said he waited outside a theatre in Chicago to see the show in hopes that someone would be unable to attend at the last minute — and he was successful in finding a ticket to "Hamilton." 

"Hamilton" is essentially another perspective on American history, he said. 

“We have this quintessential American history — you know, the founding fathers, and all this that is an incredibly white experience,” he said.

It is unique for a musical to reflect an entirely different point of view, Patrick said.

“A piece of theater has been created by people of color almost completely top to bottom from their perspective, a take on that history,” he said.

Patrick said the musical's authenticity is what makes it resonate with audiences. 

"So it’s this incredible celebration of what it actually feels like to be American opposed to a very privileged population telling us what it is to be American."

Adam Hall, a junior global studies and Japanese double major, said he loves the diversity of "Hamilton." 

“I think it’s successful because it’s a traditional American story,” said Hall. “Everybody has some interest, even if they don’t admit it, in learning about their country.”

He said the diverse cast does not change the story.

"Although it’s usually told from a white perspective, the addition of multinational actors doesn’t change how the story is perceived in any way," Hall said. 

Patrick said the diversity and new perspective are only part of what makes the musical successful. 

"The story was interesting," he said. "It was well sung and well acted, and the dancers and the choreography were all incredible. I mean, all of that has to be there too."

Patty Matos, a junior public relations major, saw "Hamilton" in New York last October. 

“We made a weekend trip out of it," Matos said. "It was really fun."

Matos said she was wary of "Hamilton," even though it combined a lot of the things she loves.

“I’m super into history, super into musicals, super into rap music. So, it was like an obvious choice, but I was a little reluctant,” Matos said. “But then once I listened to it, I was totally hooked.”

Hall has not seen "Hamilton" yet, but said he is excited the play is coming to Durham.

“I didn’t think Broadway would really care about such a tiny town in the middle of nowhere,” Hall said. “It’s good that they recognize North Carolina as a place worthy of a world-class Broadway show.”

Matos said "Hamilton" reflects the world we live in today.

“I feel like now, more than ever, it’s kind of cool to be able to consume media that kind of reflects on the past and at the same time can sort of be applied to the present,” she said.