Kara Klages' 2 goals in 21 seconds push UNC women's lacrosse past Boston College

Junior Midfielder Ela Hazar carries the ball up the field in the game against Boston College on Saturday. 

In their first return to Chapel Hill since that overtime shocker, the No. 19 Eagles held a two-goal halftime lead over the Tar Heels at Fetzer Field on Saturday.

Looking to spark the Tar Heels’ acclaimed offense, sophomore Kara Klages stepped toward the goal for a free-position shot less than three minutes into the second half.

The midfielder found nothing but net, trimming the deficit to one for UNC.

Twenty-one seconds later, Klages’ teammates opened up a lane, and the underclassman had another open look.

“They made it easy for me,” Klages said.

In less than a minute, Klages matched her season total for goals scored and went on to match her assist total as well, providing all the momentum the team needed in a 15-13 comeback victory.

While Klages stunned the Eagles, her coach knew what was coming all along.

“We knew Kara was going to have a great game today,” head coach Jenny Levy said. “That’s what she’s capable of and that’s what we expect from her.”

Klages’ accomplishments were part of a team turnaround in the last half-hour of play. During the halftime break, the team talked about how to regain composure.

“At that point the players need to step up and do their job and understand what’s going on on the field,” Levy said, “And make sure that we have an idea of how to play together.”

Klages was one of five multi-goal scorers for the Tar Heels. Senior Molly Hendrick and junior Marie McCool put up hat tricks, while junior Ela Hazar and senior Sydney Holman both scored two goals. In total, eight different players netted goals.

Distributing shooting among these weapons was one of the keys to the comeback for North Carolina.

“I think the strength of our team can be ball movement with seven threats on the field,” Levy said. “We have the ability and the IQ and the stick work to do that.”

The Tar Heel defense, anchored by senior and two-time National Goalie of the Year Caylee Waters, redoubled in the second half to stave off an Eagle team with the nation’s No. 14 scoring offense.

“We knew that we were playing how we were supposed to be playing,” Waters said. “We talked about just keep playing our game but play a little bit harder, communicate more, play together and bring it to a higher level.”

Klages’ 21-second outburst in the second half represents the team’s attitude in high-pressure situations.

“Keep the spirits high,” Klages said, “and just keep shoving it at ‘em.”

@James_Tatter