Friday December 3rd

Letter: ​Embrace and debate conflicting opinions

The decision for UNC Students for Justice in Palestine to cancel a speech by Rania Khalek because her beliefs about the Syrian war are too controversial is a nonsensical outrage especially as she is an effective advocate for the Palestinians who have lived with Israel’s heavy boot on their necks for over seven decades.

A University is where conflicting opinions can be debated openly without fear of censorship. Otherwise, it is where brainwashed automatons spout whatever doctrine they believe they are allowed say. I hope this chapter of SJP is atypical of the chapters here in California which are very active and forceful by raising awareness of Israel’s criminality in maintaining the Occupation and Apartheid system, as well as to bring attention to the Boycott, Divest, Sanctions movement which (is) a peaceful program to send a message to the Israeli government that it must obey international law or consequences.

Use this opportunity as students to really seek the truths that are being protected by our compliant Press. (But) banning a speaker because their message is “controversial” is truly an exercise in “cutting off one’s nose, to spite their face.”

Joseph Tillotson

Class of ’66

Welcome Back Edition 2021