Letter: ​Maurice Grier was given fair coverage

I am a first-year student who is passionate about student self-governance and knew it since my first day on campus.

Immediately, I ran for Student Congress along with two fantastic women from District 4. Since taking that oath, in which we swore to “preserve, protect and defend” every student’s general welfare, we have been confronted constantly with holding ourselves accountable to the students we serve.

I am appalled by the actions of certain candidates who refuse to take responsibility for their actions as they run in this election season, but instead want to be seen as the victim.

I am a black man, from a small town, a small school and a little money.

One thing you will never hear is me or any current member of Student Government complain about any single circumstance or obstacle.

So to think these student leaders could be led by one who cannot stop feeling sorry for himself or herself is hard to imagine.

I challenge those who are seeking to lead the school to be accountable to the constituency they wish to serve.

Recently, student body presidential candidate Maurice Grier wrote a letter to the editor about how The Daily Tar Heel is negatively characterizing him. I think quite the opposite and hope the DTH will continue to hold him accountable for his actions.

On multiple occasions Mr. Grier has been quoted speaking of his virtues and values. These are values I think all of Carolina believes in, but the more substantial question continues to be: “Are those values embodied?”

Paul Kushner, chairperson of the Board of the Elections, and Luke Cullifer, student solicitor general, were both caught making bad decisions.

They have been metaphorically crucified by student leaders and have still stayed strong.

Although I agree that their actions were questionable, they were quick to admit they were wrong and continued doing their jobs.

I hope that certain candidates learn to make criticism their friend as I and numerous other leaders have done.

I am excited to serve in the upcoming administration no matter who the student body president will be. It is high time some people stopped caring about their perception and just sought after what is right.

Again I challenge The Daily Tar Heel and every student at Carolina to hold your student government, and the candidates for office, responsible for the things they say.

Tarik Woods

Member of Student Congress

First-year

Public Policy and English