Maurice Grier campaign not disqualified, awarded four points after hearing

SBP Candidates Maurice Grier, a junior and political science major.

The UNC Board of Elections awarded the Maurice Grier for Student Body President campaign four points — reducing the campaign's maximum budget by 20 percent. 

The Grier campaign was found guilty of a set of technology violations, combined together, for one penalty point. These violations were because of campaign materials lacking sponsorship messages. 

Sophomore Will Hopping filed the complaint against Grier on Feb. 26 and the hearing for the complaint was held on Friday. The complaint included twelve technology violations, five false start violations, one location violation and one falsification violation. 

The Grier campaign received another penalty point for a technology violation because the official website did not have the required sponsorship messages. 

The BOE said more penalty points were not given because the violation was minor and did not cause significant harm. 

The Grier campaign was given a point for a false start violation for hosting a campaign event during the freeze on campaigning put in place by the UNC Student Supreme Court. 

The Grier campaign was also found guilty of another technology violation because technology aided in the promotion of the event in the false start violation.

The BOE's decision said the burden of proof had not been met for other violations.