Opinion: UNC needs better places to take a mid-day nap

This board was disappointed to see that the boxy cubbies in the Undergraduate Library’s basement — previously some of the most appealing nap spots on campus — have disappeared. 

While we respect that more students may be able to fit into the basement study room now, we want to make some things clear: sleeping matters, naps matter and UNC’s campus lacks sufficient nap space.

Even short naps, such as those squeezed in a break between classes or before an on-campus meeting, can improve mood, alertness and performance, according to the National Sleep Foundation. Students who live off campus or commute to UNC would particularly benefit from safe napping space on campus.

In late 2016, the Carolina Union Board of Directors showed at least a small measure of support for napping when it lifted the restriction against sleeping in the Union basement’s Meditation Room. 

But the Meditation Room’s other functions — providing space for students to pray or meditate — may be negatively affected by nearby nappers. We definitely don’t want our snores to disturb our fellow students’ religious practice.

Space on campus is definitely limited, but surely some portion of some library or perhaps the Union can be marked off as nap-friendly. A dedicated room with low lights would be ideal, but recreating some specialized seating like what used to be in the UL basement would be good, too.

A safe and comfortable place to nap will improve our academics and our emotional and physical well-being for a low cost, and we think that’s an awfully good deal.