Q&A with the creators of "Kazooo It!"

The spot where an old tree used to be outside Dey Hall.

First-years Quincy Godwin and Ethan Baechtold are feeling musical — the leaders of Global International Worldwide, Intl. are hosting the first ever Kazooo It! Friday at Wilson Library. 

Staff writer Michelle Dixon spoke with Goodwin and Baechtold about kazoos, social inhibitions and musical aspirations.

Daily Tar Heel: What was your inspiration for the event?

Ethan Baechtold: I think our inspiration came after the inception of the event. Shortly after Quincy and I met, we decided to create an event around our mutual love for kazoos. We went from shaking hands, an introduction, straight into Kazooo It!. I think if anyone can figure out the inspiration they should let us know. Ten points for that.

Quincy Goodwin: Our organization’s name was founded shortly after Kazooo It!.Our organization name is called Global International Worldwide, Intl.

DTH: Why do you all want to break down social barriers?

EB: On a more serious note, social inhibitions are a big problem. So we feel that our wacky events can help break down some of those social inhibitions people have through a mutual love of items like kazoos.

QG: Some other events that we posted that sort of break these social constraints that we’re talking about include sling-shotting stuff into a place. We built a slingshot and launched shoes and fruit from it — very successful.

DTH: So why kazoos?

QG: It’s really accessible.

EB: As two passionate musicians, we feel that kazoos are kind of the gateway instrument. It’s very small, fits in your pocket.

QG: There’s a thousand words in a kazoo, as they say.

DTH: Why are you all doing it at Wilson Library?

QG: It seems like a very good place — it kind of has that stage presence. Anything they’ve ever done at Wilson sort of resounds with the public more so.

EB: Yeah, and we want our events to be very accessible to everyone on campus. Wilson is the very place for that to happen. There’s also steps, riser situation.

DTH: Do you all expect a large crowd?

QG: We expect to fill the quad.

DTH: How many kazoos did you all order?

EB: We ordered roughly 100 kazoos. A lot of the attendants told us they were bringing their own kazoos. Many of them ordered their own dozen or so.

QG: We originally had a BYOK event, bring your own kazoo.

@michellekdixon_

swerve@dailytarheel.com