Roc Solid helps bring play to UNC Hospitals

Justin Kiser (left) is a first year pre-business and economics double major and Keery Doyle is a first year exercise science and biology double major. Kiser is the treasurer and Doyle is the President of the club "Roc Solid Carolina."

Two first-years want to take advantage of having UNC Hospitals on campus. Kerry Doyle and Justin Kiser have decided to found the Roc Solid Carolina Club, an organization that provides services for children with cancer. 

Roc Solid Carolina is part of a parent organization, the Roc Solid Foundation. The club will provide ready bags, playset builds and room remodels for children in the hospital. Ready bags include toiletries, Samsung tablets, board games and other fun things to keep the child entertained during hospital stays. 

“We bring play back into the lives of children with cancer,” Doyle said.

Kiser and Doyle got involved with Roc Solid in high school after Doyle’s mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. After discovering this, Doyle's mom told her about an opportunity to help children with pediatric cancer.

“We did it and I loved it, so I got into contact with the founder, Eric Newman, and he basically allowed me to shadow him along the way,” Doyle said.

Sophomore Emily Kiser, Justin Kiser's sister, is joining the club. She said she was previously been involved in a playset build for a child with Hodgkin Lymphoma, and really enjoyed the experience.

“Once it’s all over, we have a big reveal with food and family. It’s really exciting,” she said.

Emily Kiser said she became involved with Roc Solid at UNC with her brother, since they both participated in it during high school. She said she has a passion for children, which this organization allows her to explore. 

“I think it’s a unique way to give back to the community," she said.

Roc Solid Carolina is relatively new to the University, so Justin Kiser and Doyle hope to spend the rest of their semester preparing for the fall. Kiser said the Roc Solid was launched on Friday, and that he has been in contact with representatives from UNC Children's Hospital. 

“The child life specialist manager is actually our student organization advisor,” Kiser said. 

The two co-founders have already recruited 20 members, and said they hope to recruit more and begin fundraising for builds and ready bags. 

Roc Solid Carolina is already close to giving the Children's Hospital its first order of ready bags, but Doyle and Kiser hope that by next semester, Roc Solid will be able to sponsor the bags on their own.