Student body presidential race to continue with runoff election on Friday

Student body president candidates Maurice Grier (left) and Elizabeth Adkins respond to questions asked by leaders of the Greek Organizations IFC, GAC, NPHC, and the PHC.

Paul Kushner, chairperson of the UNC Board of Elections, said there will only be two options on the ballot — Maurice Grier and Elizabeth Adkins.

Kushner said there is no current reason why the election should not happen on Friday.

“We don’t have any outstanding reason to make this not happen on Friday,” he said. “There’s nothing that’s been presented to the board that would give us any reason to delay it.”

Kushner said Adkins received 44.3 percent of the vote in the last election and Grier received 22.7 percent of the vote.

With no outstanding complaints or UNC Student Supreme Court injunctions, the two candidates are proceeding with their campaign plans.

“We’re very excited to have this extra week to campaign for the runoff election,” Adkins said.

“We’re really looking at it as an opportunity to just be able to engage with more and more students and be able to interact with them and explain to them our policies...”

Grier said he wanted to use this week to continue to spread his campaign message.

“Honestly, I think the most important thing is to just stay focused on the mission and the things that we, my campaign and myself, that I want to promote that should be the culture here on campus which is love,” he said.

In planning for the week, Adkins said she was planning on meeting student groups she wasn’t able to meet with before.

“So hopefully we’ll be able to use this week as an opportunity to continue to meet with them and spread our ideas and talk with them,” she said.

Grier said he doesn’t have concrete plans for the next week.

“Things are ever-changing,” he said. “So it’s very difficult, especially you know in an election or a campaign, to say this is what we’re going to do and this is going to be the outcome because you never know what the next challenge is going to be.”