Students react to 2 Chainz Jubilee concert

On Friday afternoon, the Carolina Union Activities Board unveiled the name of the performer in the Pit with the help of large poster boards and an eagerly awaiting crowd.

Student interest was apparent in the way the $20 floor seats sold out in an hour and a half after the unveiling.

Student reactions seem to be overwhelmingly positive for the Georgia native Grammy-winning rapper, who has several hit singles such as “No Lie” and “Birthday Song,” as well as numerous features on songs like “Mercy” and “No Problem.”

Senior Danila Chenchik was one of the students who bought floor tickets before they sold out.

“I bought two tickets and told my girlfriend about it and she was like, ‘Oh my god, no way.’”

Chenchik said he doesn’t listen to rap music much, but he’s excited for 2 Chainz.

“It seems like 2 Chainz is a very big celebrity and personality so it’s kind of cool having someone that’s so big come to UNC,” he said.

Sophomore Hadiya Howard was there for the announcement, and said people were cheering. CUAB handed out chains after the artist was revealed.

Howard, who said she was not a fan of last year’s performer, country artist and UNC graduate Chase Rice, said she’s glad CUAB decided to go with a hip-hop artist.

“It’s something to look forward to in the midst of midterms,” she said.

Senior Jazmin McCorkle said she was hesitant at first, but said she’s ultimately glad the genre went in the hip-hop direction.

“I’m more like J.Cole or Kendrick Lamar, but 2 Chainz is still rap or hip-hop,” she said.

Some students bought tickets shortly after they were made avaliable.

While she was TAing a class, McCorkle said a student read the announcement and bought a ticket right then from her phone.

The concert will be on April 1 in Carmichael Arena, with a capacity of 5,000 people. CUAB decided on 2 Chainz, who cost $125,000 to book, after sending out a genre survey to students in October and shopping around for hip-hop artists in their budget.

Twitter blew up after 2 Chainz was announced.

Some people were reminiscing about the last time 2 Chainz performed in Chapel Hill back in 2012.

Many seem to be looking forward to the performance. And, like everything in life, some are not feeling it.

Overall, CUAB’s decision seems to be a popular one.

In the words of 2 Chainz himself, the organization “did what they said (they) couldn’t, went where they said (they) wouldn’t.”

@MariaMullis2017

swerve@dailytarheel.com