Top takeaways from Trump's address to a joint session of Congress

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump spoke in the Greensboro Coliseum on Tuesday, June 14th.

President Donald Trump addressed a joint session of Congress in his first major speech since the inauguration Tuesday night. Here are some of his main talking points. 

On the economy

In his address, Trump said he hoped to restore the strength of the U.S. economy.

“We must create a level playing field for American companies and workers,” he said.

Trump said he would introduce a massive tax reform that would reduce taxes for the middle class, as well as make it easier for American companies to compete and succeed.

He expressed support for construction of the Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines, saying they would create thousands of jobs and said he'd propose legislation that would produce a one trillion dollar investment in infrastructure throughout the nation.

“This effort will be guided by two core principles: buy American and hire American," Trump said.

On immigration

Trump stressed the need for immigration reform to ensure the safety and security of the American people.

Advocating for a merit-based system, Trump argued immigration reform will help jump-start the economy by saving money, raising wages and helping economically struggling families enter the middle class. 

“Protecting our workers also means reforming our system of legal immigration,” he said.

Trump also introduced a new office in the Department of Homeland Security that would serve victims of crimes perpetrated by immigrants, called VOICE — Victims Of Immigration Crime Engagement.

“We are providing a voice to those who have been ignored by our media and silenced by special interests,” Trump said.

On health care

Trump said action was necessary to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. 

“I am calling on all Democrats and Republicans in the Congress to work with us to save Americans from this imploding Obamacare disaster,” he said. 

Trump said the replacement plan should include coverage for people with pre-existing conditions and should implement a stable transition for individuals enrolled in current healthcare exchanges. He said states would be given the resources needed for Medicaid coverage and proposed freedom to purchase insurance across state lines. 

“[This will create] a truly competitive national marketplace that will bring cost way down and provide far better care,” Trump said.

Trump also outlined his intention to invest in women’s health, as well as provide affordable and accessible childcare with paid family leave.

On education and the community

“Education is the civil rights issue of our time," Trump said.

He encouraged education reform legislation that would enable disadvantaged children and their families to have the freedom to choose the type of school they want to attend.

“Every American child should be able to grow up in a safe community, to attend a great school and to have access to a high-paying job,” Trump said.

Trump expressed his support for the men and women of law enforcement, saying that their roles will break cycles of violence and poverty in disadvantaged communities.

"And streets where mothers are safe from fear — schools where children learn in peace — and jobs where Americans prosper and grow — are not too much to ask," he said.