UNC baseball bounces back with 8-2 midweek win over VCU

North Carolina pitcher Tyler Baum (23) throws a pitch against VCU on Tuesday.

The Tar Heels’ (10-3) bats came alive, receiving contributions throughout the order. The offensive explosion was especially welcome following a weekend series in which UNC lost two out of three to Long Beach State and was twice held to two runs or fewer.

“We struggled a little bit last weekend and that’s gonna happen with the season,” junior center fielder Brian Miller said.

“There’s gonna be ups and downs. But it was definitely encouraging today to see everyone contribute to the win.”

After starting pitcher Tyler Baum worked a clean first inning, Ashton McGee got the scoring started in the bottom of the frame, driving in two runs with a two-out triple.

Baum kept VCU off the scoreboard as the Tar Heels added runs in the third and fourth innings before breaking the game open with a three-run fifth to make the lead 7-0.

UNC head coach Mike Fox was pleased with the first-year Baum, who threw five shutout innings and has yet to allow an earned run in his college career.

“It’s important to start off clean,” Fox said. “Tyler Baum gave us that. He’s a strike-thrower as a freshman.”

The Rams scored twice in the seventh and forced Fox to use four pitchers in the inning, but the two runs were all VCU could muster.

While the win was encouraging for the Tar Heels, Fox called the first thirteen games up to this point “a good preseason,” saying that the real test lies ahead as ACC play begins this weekend when No. 11 Virginia visits Boshamer Stadium.

Miller agreed with his coach, saying ACC play is more demanding than nonconference games.

“We’ve got to bring it every day,” Miller said. “Every single team is good, everyone’s got good players, and the game is never over.”

Last year, UNC started the season 18-2 before a late slide left the Tar Heels at 34-21 and out of the ACC and NCAA tournaments at season’s end.

Miller said the Tar Heels’ 13-17 record in ACC play was the reason the team missed out on the NCAA tournament.

“According to last year, the ACC games were all that mattered for the tournament,” Miller said.

Junior first baseman Zack Gahagan agreed and added that the team learned from an unsuccessful 2016 season and wants to leave those memories behind.

“Last year we didn’t win enough conference games,” Gahagan said, “And that was the decision that didn’t get us into the tournament. They’re very important games, we won’t take them lightly and we’re ready for whoever comes in here.”