UNC competes for spring concert through Shoudify app

If students drop the most "shoudouts" in the next two weeks, UNC could win a free concert this spring.

UNC students are participating in the Loudest Campus Competition through the app Shoudify. This is an app in which people can create crowds where members can send ‘shoudouts’ — personally recorded messages — through a music streaming service.

Along with the University of Arizona, the University of Central Florida, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, The Ohio State University and the University of Texas at Austin, UNC will be competing to gain the most "shoudouts" in its campus group. UNC’s crowd name in the app is UNC TarHeels. The winning university will receive a concert in the spring.

Sophomore Sahara Lord, a brand ambassador for Shoudout! on UNC’s campus, has been distributing fliers and promo cards and ran an event on campus Tuesday for the app.

“That’s why they brought the brand ambassadors on,” Lord said. “They are trying to target these big universities specifically, so that was kind of everyone’s incentive to really work hard and get the app out there.”

Lord said if UNC wins, an artist will come for the concert, but it’s not yet clear who it will be.

“The number one they are trying to get is Wale,” she said. “They are either going to add it on to our spring concert, so the Jubilee concert, or they’re going to do an entirely separate, free concert this spring,” Lord said.

The CEO and founder of Shoudify and the related app, Shoudout!, Leo Abbe, said the idea for the apps came from the concept of calling into a radio station.

“We took that concept and brought it to the modern age based on all of the modern technologies that are out there, and we created an app called Shoudout!, and the app does sort of what it says, it lets you ‘shoudout’ and basically get yourself heard,” Abbe said. “Instead of getting yourself heard on the radio, it lets you get yourself heard on streaming media.”

Lord said she encourages students to download the app and start participating so that UNC can win the spring concert.

“I’d encourage people to use the Shoudout! app and to drop as many ‘shoudouts’ into the crowd because I think we’re leading among the other universities, so if we stay strong for the next week and a half, we have a good chance of scoring a Wale concert this spring,” Lord said.

First-year Daria Sinclair said she is interested in media and was disappointed that she hadn’t heard of the app yet. She said a lot of other people probably don’t know about it, either, but she will definitely look into the app and go to the free concert in the spring if UNC wins.

“It sounds like it’s a pretty cool idea,” Sinclair said. “If we’re able to get a concert out of it, definitely.”