After its 11-game win streak ended on Wednesday night, the North Carolina softball team rebounded with a 5-0 weekend at the Holy City Showdown in Mount Pleasant, S.C.

In a doubleheader Friday night, the Tar Heels dominated for an easy 8-0 win over Chattanooga before earning a 3-2 win in a closer game against College of Charleston.

“We got that feeling of what it was like to lose, so when that happens you get refocused again,” head coach Donna Papa said. “Our girls are determined, and it helps to have that mentally.”

Senior Kendra Lynch led the offense against Chattanooga with a pair of home runs and four RBIs. Sophomore Leah Murray and juniors Taylor Wike and Katelyn Shifflett also tallied two hits each for the Tar Heels.

After entering the top of the seventh inning in a 2-2 tie against College of Charleston, sophomore Berlynne Delamora hit an RBI single to give UNC the lead for good.

The Tar Heels defeated both UMass Lowell, 3-1, and Northern Kentucky, 8-1, on Saturday for the second doubleheader sweep of the weekend.

UNC was out-hit, 9-4, in the first game against the River Hawks, but the defense led the way, as redshirt sophomore Sydney Matzko earned the win on the mound with three strikeouts though four innings. First-year Hannah Nommenson earned the save by striking out four batters over the final three innings.

UNC’s offense came back to life against Northern Kentucky with a five-run fifth inning that featured five hits. Murray, Wike, Delamora and sophomore Destiny DeBerry each had two hits for the Tar Heels.

After the final game of the weekend was delayed on Sunday due to the threat of inclement weather, UNC’s offense told the story of the game once again with a 10-3 win over Robert Morris.

All nine players in the lineup earned at least one hit, while Pickett went 2-for-2 at the plate with an RBI double and a two-run home run. She also earned the win for the Tar Heels on the mound.

“To put five wins together over three days shows what this team is capable of,” Papa said. “We were successful at having our hitters do their jobs and our pitchers get outs.”

@jordymae012