UNC softball wins 11th in a row with 5-1 victory over UNC-Charlotte

A duo of home runs in the first inning propelled the North Carolina softball team (16-4, 3-0 ACC) to a 5-1 win over UNC-Charlotte (15-8) on Tuesday night.

UNC-Charlotte came out strong in the top of the first inning. After Erin Powers hit a line drive single that slammed into the fence and scored a runner from second base, the 49ers took a 1-0 lead. But it did not last long. 

Following a single by UNC junior Taylor Wike, sophomore Berlynne Delamora and senior Kendra Lynch hit back-to-back home runs to give the Tar Heels a 3-1 lead.

The 49ers came the closest to scoring again in the top of the fourth inning with runners on first and second base with two outs, but Wike caught an easy pop-up to leave both runners stranded on base.

UNC had a pitching change in the top of the fifth inning when first-year Brittany Pickett came in for the Tar Heels to relieve first-year Hannah Nommensen.

Neither team was able to score after the first inning until the bottom of the fourth inning when UNC junior Katelyn Shifflett hit a rope over the left field fence to deepen the Tar Heels' lead to 4-1.

After Delamora was walked with one out in the bottom of the fifth inning, it appeared that Lynch had hit her second home run of the game. However, the ball slammed into the fence to give Lynch a double and RBI for a 5-1 lead.

The remaining inning and a half went by quickly as the Tar Heels sealed their victory.

Delamora stepped up with her home run at the plate and her defensive plays at third base. Her best play came at the top of the third inning when she jumped up to snag a ground ball that took a nasty hop above her head and got the out.

Lynch was able to relax and let the first-years take over at the mound while enjoying both a home run and an RBI double for herself at the plate.

North Carolina was able to quickly respond to Charlotte’s 1-0 lead without looking back.

Pickett silenced any remaining hopes the 49ers may have had when she took over and retired nine straight batters to end the game.

Fresh off a sweep over ACC rival Pittsburgh, UNC was able to add another game to its 11-game win streak before setting off on 11 straight away games.

The Tar Heels will not be back on its home turf until Mar. 24, after spring break.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will travel to UNCG to take on the Spartans on Wednesday at 5 p.m.

@jordymae012