We asked UNC students: Do smarter students drink more?

Last week, CNN reported that higher-performing students are more likely to consume alcohol and smoke marijuana than their lower-performing counterparts. 

Other headlines from CNN last week reported the sky is blue, grass is green and Duke is evil.

The study of over 6,000 British teenagers found that the highest-performing students were more than twice as likely to drink alcohol regularly and nearly two times as likely to smoke weed persistently. 

Being the hard-hitting, investigative journalist that I (staff writer Zach Goins) am, I needed to find out if this trend translated across the pond to the good ‘ole U-S-of-A. 

So, I hit the Pit in the name of weed, booze and journalism to get Carolina students' take on the matter. 

Natalie Hardin

Sophomore media and journalism major 

“I don’t think that necessarily applies to America or Chapel Hill. I feel like if that was true over here then schools like ECU or big party schools like the ones in the SEC would be the best academically."

Chris Cotillo

Junior media and journalism major 

“I’m not sure. I think it’s important, obviously, to have a balance between going out and getting schoolwork done if you’re really into going out. I’m really not sure how the study would apply over here.”

Kate Jones

Junior dramatic arts and communication studies major 

“Personally, I don’t participate in either, and last semester I got a 4.0. So, I don’t really think that’s entirely true, but that’s just my take on things. Usually the people that I spend time with don’t really do that type of thing, but that’s a one-sided narrative.”

Sarah Hinson

Senior exercise and sport science and political science major 

“I feel like that study’s kind of broad because it doesn’t get down to the basis of what’s the culture in each of these environments. So that could be true, with like fraternities or sororities or like a similar culture elsewhere on campus, but I think it’s kind of broad to make an assumption like that about everyone who’s doing well in their classes.” 

Graham Prevatte 

Junior German and communication studies major 

“That would make sense. I think it’s got to do with how social they are. When you go out you lose time to study, so you’ve got to budget your time better so you can accommodate for going out.”

Mckenzie Wilson

Senior dramatic arts, communication studies major 

“People who make better grades drink more and smoke more? I think if you go out you’re more focused and committed to working when you have to get work done and get down to business.”

@zach_goins

swerve@dailytarheel.com