Letter: ​Celebrate Holi Moli and UNC diversity

For years, Carolina has put on one of the biggest events of the year, Holi Moli, an opportunity to celebrate the Southeast Asian festival, Holi, with the campus community.

The origins come from a religious story that highlights a classic Hindu legend of triumph of good over evil.

Holi has had a positive impact on the Southeast Asian community for years, serving to harmonize communities divided by social and economic barriers of the past in a festival of color and life. The event serves as a medium to rekindle relationships as larger communities reunite to celebrate spring. Similarly, at UNC we celebrate our own version of Holi, known as Holi Moli, a way to connect our campus and celebrate our diverse community.

A common misconception is that Holi is a color run without the run. Although color runs are highly popularized, Holi is a different celebration. Holi’s deep religious and cultural ties allow it to strengthen the bond between members of the campus community.

Maybe our Holi participants can’t walk away reciting the religious origins ­— however, we hope that every student leaves the event with a stronger commitment to celebrating our campus’ diverse community.

Happy Holi, Holi Hai and cheers to Holi Moli!

Regards,

Holi Moli Executive Board