Letter: Tears of sorrow became tears of joy

In Dean Smith’s vision for players on the court to have one heartbeat, a special group of individuals created beauty from a memory that once made us weep.

From someone who understands the art of the comeback, Michael Jordan once said in an interview with Craig Sager: “Everything works out for the best.”

All of us gravitate toward the power of will because we remember those moments in life feeling helpless.

The desire of Coach Roy Williams on a Texas night wishing to do more, it’s a moving sentiment for everyone as we feel and think with our hearts and minds.

When it comes to giving forth effort the next time around, there is a shared universal consciousness amongst us humans as a species and society that stems from a desire to strive to be better, to become something more. Its not so much about redemption as it is inspiration.

In not allowing the sports world to believe that last season’s ending was the final chapter to be written, these guys who wear the right shade of blue showed us that in any story we can always take back the narrative.

At THE University of North Carolina, we got the opportunity to connect more as a school as everyone together can now identify, relate to and remember that on April 3, 2017, tears of sorrow became tears of joy. Tar ... Heels!

Piran Jadali

Class of ’09