No. 5 UNC baseball cruises past Elon in 11-2 win

The No. 5 North Carolina baseball team defeated Elon 11-2, taking a commanding lead from the start with back-to-back three-run innings.

North Carolina jumped out to a 6-1 lead after the first two innings, thanks to a three-run home run by Brandon Riley and a three-run second inning sparked by Logan Warmoth's RBI triple. Elon rallied for a second run in the top of the fourth, but the Tar Heels responded by tacking on two more runs for an 8-2 lead. The Tar Heels amassed three more runs in the next two innings to lock in an 11-2 win. Meanwhile, a solid defensive effort held Elon scoreless for the last five innings and limited the Phoenix to only five hits in the entire game.

Brian Miller paved the way with consistency as UNC's leadoff hitter, going 4-for-5 with three runs. Riley also had a stellar day. Including the home run, he went 2-for-3 with three RBIs.

Ashton McGee was exceptional on offense and defense. He went 2-for-2 at the plate with an RBI, and he stifled an Elon hit with a diving catch in the top of the third inning.

Meanwhile, Tyler Baum quenched any offensive attempts for Elon. He allowed two runs and four hits while picking up two strikeouts in four innings of play.

Those poor pine trees behind Boshamer Stadium's right field wall have taken quite a lot of damage, and Brandon Riley spared no mercy. He whacked a home run into the line of trees in the first inning to clear the bases and give UNC a 3-0 lead. The Tar Heels continued that momentum, and Elon never came close to contention.

As the Tar Heels gear up for tougher weekend series competition, every midweek win is invaluable. That North Carolina can claim a comfortable, convincing win will be a nice confidence booster, especially with another midweek game set for tomorrow.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels take on Campbell on Wednesday at 6 p.m. in Boshamer Stadium.

@rblakerich_