Opinion: Withdrawing from school can be useful for some students

Every undergraduate student at UNC likely feels the pressure to graduate in four years — many of us opt to overload during registration to graduate even sooner. It makes sense financially to aim for the most affordable, efficient college experience. 

However, we must acknowledge that completing eight back-to-back semesters immediately after high school as a full-time student isn’t a “one size fits all” scenario.

Students should get to know all of their options before they make important decisions regarding how and when they attend university.

Gap years have recently grown in popularity. While they remain mostly associated with taking a break from school between high school graduation and college commencement, there is always the possibility of taking a break at any point in one’s education.

The University has already taken steps to destigmatize academic withdrawals, although students who withdraw must apply for readmission in order to return to UNC as a full-time or part-time student.

While the University does offer options for academic withdrawal, medical withdrawal and retroactive withdrawal, it’s important to know that if a student withdraws, the semester does not count as one of their eight semesters in residence.

Extenuating circumstances can make attending school here difficult or impossible. The editorial board encourages students to reach out to academic advisors with questions about withdrawing, especially if they attend UNC with financial aid or on a merit scholarship.

Student Wellness exists to support students in their decision-making as well. Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), group therapy and the stress and anxiety training sessions offered by Student Wellness are all resources available to UNC students who need them.

As finals season approaches, some students may feel that dropping classes could be better than failing them. In reality, UNC takes your academic career quite seriously, and deservedly so. There is a significant difference between dropping a class because of its difficulty and medically withdrawing from a class for the sake of one’s mental health.

Find the time to build a support system and get what you need from the University, especially if you think you may need a break.

Don’t let the pressure to graduate “on time” detract from your experience at UNC. No matter how long or how short the time you spend here is, it belongs to you.